The dangers of drunkorexia

0
456

By Natalia Kubiak

SFU researcher first to examine long-term effects of saving calories for binge drinking

The two “D”s of young adulthood: dieting and drinking. Although they appear to be unrelated, in reality, they combine in a dangerous way. SFU researcher Daniella Sieukaran is the first to look into the long- term effects of “drunkorexia,” a term used to describe the practice of restricting meals in order to “save” calories for future binge drinking. Sieukaran followed 227 York University students aged 17–21 over a four-month period and found that students engaging in this practice were more likely to partake in risky activities such as unprotected sex and to overdose on alcohol. The rate of hospitalization was also higher for this group. Although, emotional eating and non-hunger-motivated eating are also forms of disordered eating, only dieting through caloric restriction positively correlated with an increase in risky behaviours.
Earlier American studies showed that 40 per cent of all students engaged in this pattern of behaviour. However, the lower legal Canadian drinking age needs to be taken into consideration when applying these numbers to the Canadian student population. Sieukaran emphasized the importance of realizing that this behaviour is observed in both females and males. While women are generally thought to be at risk from societal pressures, Sieukaran said that “we must remember that males are also receiving messages from family, friends, media, and society that they need to have a certain body: high in muscle and low in fat.” Both genders are plagued by information telling them to be healthy, active and to remain within their daily caloric needs. Thus, whereas women are motivated by the desire for thinness, men strive to avoid beer-bellies and to achieve muscularity. Regardless of gender, the drive for an ideal body image could be the primary motivation behind drunkorexia, although further research needs to be conducted on the matter.
Calorie counting at meal times is a common practice in a culture where disordered eating is increasing in prevalence. This caloric concern is now spreading into the area of alcohol. Despite not being a diagnosable eating disorder, like dieting, drunkorexia is often a gateway for more serious problems and has the potential of morphing into an eating disorder. The ease with which this transition can occur makes it crucial for universities to not only acknowledge the problem, but to implement strategies that can bring about change.
Sieukaran believes that “more awareness and education is key to minimizing risk. Young adults know that dieting can be dangerous, and on the other hand, they know that drinking can be dangerous. But they aren’t thinking about what the combined risks can be.” Therefore, students need to be educated and made more aware of the dangers at hand. Schools need to be “connecting the dots for these two behaviours,” as students often fail to recognize that the risks of certain actions, such as drinking, can be related to other behaviours such as poor dieting or unsafe sex. This discrepancy is why Sieukaran is focusing her research on the weighing of short-term gains against long-term risks by students in the context of drinking and dieting.
Prevention is the key method of minimizing the risks associated with drunkorexia. This is a growing phenomenon that requires more research in order to delve further into the causes and possible forms of treatment. For the time being, students need to be aware that this issue exists and not stigmatize those who admit having a problem. Openness is key and support is often much appreciated. When the new school year brings keggers, pub nights and beer pong, remember that a full stomach will help the hangover.