Clan honour top student athletes at annual banquet

0
567

2013 Simon Fraser University Athletics Gala

After a year of both triumph and heartbreak, struggle and perseverance, SFU’s athletic calendar is nearing its end. Last Wednesday, the Clan recognized their best and brightest student athletes at the annual awards banquet.

The 2013-14 winners are as follows:

The Rick Jones Award for Courage honours an individual who has persevered through adversity to lead their team, and was awarded to Brad Erdos of Clan football, who missed the entire 2012 Clan football season with an injury just months after being drafted by the Calgary Stampeders. He rehabbed and was back on the field in 2013, leading the Clan offensive line in his senior season.

The Bill DeVries Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement is presented to a student who exhibits outstanding academic achievement and athletic performance as well as the personal qualities of integrity and generosity. The 2013 recipient was Adam Staschuk, a captain of the men’s soccer team, who helped the Clan reach the NCAA Div. II Final Four in each of his two seasons with the men’s soccer team, while sporting a 3.80 GPA.

Staschuk’s men’s soccer team was named the President’s Athletic Team of the Year for winning its fourth straight Great Northwest Athletic Conference title, second consecutive NCAA West Region title and making its second straight appearance at the Final Four. The award was presented by SFU President Andrew Petter, who also awarded the President’s Academic Team of the Year award to the women’s basketball team. The Clan boasted a team GPA of 3.12 and also finished second in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and reached round 32 at the NCAA Div. II Tournament.

The Lorne Davies Senior Grad Award, presented to the senior athlete who has achieved excellence in competition, in the classroom and in the service of the community was awarded to women’s wrestler Victoria Anthony. Anthony went undefeated through four years of collegiate competition, winning four WCWA championships in her weight class while facilitating a busy international schedule and maintaining a 3.59 grade point average.

The Department Scholar Athlete Award presented to the junior or senior athlete with the highest overall GPA went to Nicole Cossey of women’s swimming, who boasts a 3.86 GPA. She would be honoured again during the evening as she was also named the Clan’s Female Athlete of the Year. She was a two time All-American at the 2014 NCAA Championships surpassing the 100-yard freestyle’s old NCAA record time and finishing second in the event, leaving her with the second fastest time in the event in NCAA Division II history.

The Clan’s Male Athlete of the Year was soccer All-American Chris Bargholz, who was the Great Northwest Athletic Conference Player of the Year.

The Clan also honoured their 2013-14 All-Americans at the event, including Nicole Cossey and Carmen Nam (Swimming), Erin Chambers (Basketball), Helen Crofts, Lindsey Butterworth, Sarah Sawatzky (Outdoor Track and Field 2013), Butterworth, Kirsten Allen (Cross-Country), Chris Bargholz, Magnus Kristensen (Soccer), Victoria Anthony, Helen Maroulis, Justina DiStasio, Jenna McLatchey, Darby Huckle, Nikki Brar, Mallory Velte, Laura Anderson, Monika Podgorski, Michiko Araki (Wrestling), Lemar Durant and Jamal Kett (Football).