SFU hires new defensive coordinator

0
569

Simon Fraser University falls 3-1 to FC Edmonton in Men's Soccer

After SFU hired former BC Lions offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine as the football team’s new head coach, scoring points was no longer going to be a concern.

Stopping the other team from doing so? That’s something the Clan haven’t been able to do since entering the NCAA. But with the brand new hiring of Abe Elimimian as defensive coordinator, things may finally turn around.

Elimimian comes to SFU from Div. I’s Washington State, where he served as the cornerbacks coach. Last season, his Cougars ranked fourth in the PAC-12 against the pass, against the likes of Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks — a first-round receiver prospect in this year’s NFL draft — and Oregon quarterback Marcus Matiota, who’s projected to go first overall next year.

“We were looking for someone who was going to be able to come in and be a good teacher, who was going to have a great way to communicate with the young people at the college level,” said Chapdelaine of his new colleague.

“From that point of view, Abe was the ideal candidate in a sense that he’s had experience coaching at the college level and he brings a great deal of understanding and relevance, not only from his NFL playing experience but also from the college coaching staffs he has worked with.”

Elimimian, a University of Hawaii alumni, signed with the San Diego Chargers in 2005 and the Chicago Bears in 2006. He also has some NFL coaching experience, working as an intern with the Green Bay Packers as a defensive assistant.

“The opportunity to work at a wonderful university and for an excellent head coach in Jacques Chapdelaine is outstanding,” said Elimimian. “From when we first spoke on the phone, I could tell he was a man of high character and high integrity and a man who knows how to win. Once I came here I found the people were outstanding, very smart and the atmosphere very welcoming.”

He takes over a program that has been dismal defensively since joining the GNAC, but Chapdelaine sees progress already.

“So far his communication skills with the players have proven to be very efficient and our student athletes are finding themselves in a scheme where they can perform freely and aggressively,” said the head coach.

And, after four years of struggle, any signs of progress are welcome.