National parks should be WiFi-free zones

0
575

WEB Cell phone park-Flickr-MTSOfan

As warm weather and sunny skies appear, more campers and hikers prepare for weekends away from the daily grind. However, by the end of the summer, as many as 50 national parks could be WiFi enabled.

According to Andrew Campbell, director of visitor experience with Parks Canada, the inclusion of WiFi in parks is meant to attract youth as well as help adults stay connected with work and social life while away. The project promises to only include the installation of WiFi around campgrounds and information centers. Regardless, WiFi in national parks is a step in the wrong direction that comprises a major reason city folk flock to the great outdoors: to escape the Internet.

In their efforts to sustain a peaceful and enjoyable atmosphere, Parks Canada has forgotten their own mandate which is to “protect and present nationally significant examples of Canada’s natural and cultural heritage” (The Parks Canada Charter). WiFi capabilities endanger the environment they have set out to protect. Nothing about tablets and smartphones exemplifies Canada’s natural heritage, nor should it represent our cultural heritage.

By installing a virtual way out of the woods, many people will succumb to the temptation of Facebook, email, and Netflix.

Staying plugged into the city life while away will hinder the experience of campers and vacation seekers. Being in the woods with no reception forces campers to relax and families to spend time together. By installing a way out, many people will succumb to the temptation of Facebook, email, and Netflix. National parks would no longer be places of refuge for those who wish to be temporarily disconnected from the outside world.

Campbell claims that younger generations will feel more compelled to make the trip out of the city to experience the campgrounds if they feel they can continue to communicate with friends back home. But by letting web connectivity control the enjoyment of the youth, part of the purpose of making such a trip is defeated.

Parks Canada needs to focus on their primary commitment to Canadian citizens: the protection of our wilderness and historic sites. It seems as if they have lost focus, becoming too tangled up in the modern world. The time and money spent on this counterproductive project could be better spent on conservation and maintenance of national sites.

Ultimately, Parks Canada is pursuing a contradictory project. It is not aligned with the mandate that the organization has prided themselves on in the past, and should be reconsidered before investing excessively in the installation of WiFi on campgrounds.

Parks Canada, acknowledge and respect the negative outpour of frequent and seasonal campers. Making campgrounds web-accessible hardly acts in the best interest of Canadians and our parks.