Hollywood can’t handle feminism

4
544

Forewarning: the “F-word” is about to be used numerous times throughout this article. The one rhyming with duck? Not so much. We’re talking about the other “F-word,” feminism. It’s about time people stopped making the usual mistake of assuming feminism means putting women above men.

Recently, actress Shailene Woodley of the film Divergent was asked whether or not she considered herself a feminist. Her response was, “No, because I love men, and I think the idea of ‘raise women to power, take the men away from the power’ is never going to work out because you need balance.”

Oh good, yet another confused Hollywood star. Feminism at its core is about striving to ensure that women and men have equal rights and opportunities. Since when did it become such a dirty word that became synonymous with “man-hating” and “power-hungry”? Perhaps since people like Shailene Woodley continue to use and unintentionally spread this false definition of feminism.

With documentaries such as Miss Representation and movements by organizations such as the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media showcasing the lack of equality between men and women in the very industry that she is a part of, Woodley is far too ignorant. Her comments about taking “men away from the power” only continue to play into the Hollywood trap of vilifying feminism, and pushing aside the achievements of women.

Woodley’s character has helped transform her into Hollywood’s next “it girl.”

A two-minute montage played at this year’s Oscars ceremony depicting popular heroes in film showcased this vilification. The clip featured dozens of heroes, but most of them were male. Within the clip, women were featured for less than 20 seconds, putting the male to female ratio of representation at 6:1.

Why weren’t more female heroes included? One can’t say that more don’t exist. The clip could’ve featured famed “Tomb Raider” Lara Croft, our favourite witch, Hermione, or Terminator’s Sara Conner, among others.

Hollywood’s aversion to celebrating strong female characters is clear. Yet, with her role in Divergent, Woodley herself plays a character that is being hailed as one of the next great female heroes.

Tris Prior, her character, has been called a new hero for younger generations to look up to, and has subsequently helped transform Woodley into Hollywood’s next “it girl.” Woodley is being painted by the media as a role model for this younger generation.

It is thus even more critical that she understand the basis of feminism. Her dim-witted answer to whether or not she considers herself a feminist is now spreading a false notion of what feminism is to this younger generation.

You may argue that her publicist should have prepared her better for questions such as this, but this is on her. Misunderstanding the main principles of feminism in this day and age is just sad and unacceptable.

Crack open a dictionary, Shailene.

1. Won’t matter whether she or anyone opens the dictionary and looks up the definition or not. Feminism’s policies and actions are in contradiction to the dictionary definition.
    It claims women are equal to men and then contradicts itself on many issues. D.V. for instance.
    How did feminism treat Solange when she attacked Jay-Z in an elevator?
    They gave her a pass.
    Not a peep was heard from feminists demanding Solange be charged.
    I did read feminist author Barbara Ellen say its not the same and we should forget about it.
    Feminism is the hatred of humanity.
    It is misanthropic.

• No matter what movement, there are going to be people in it who misinterpret it. Feminism is based on equality for all from a starting point that recognizes that men have received much more privilege in the past, and still receive much more privilege now, than women. It is not hatred, it is not misanthropic, and starting/perpetuating a dichotomy between the sexes, as this MRA supporter is doing, will not solve any problems. Rather, this dichotomy is where the hate comes from.

• No matter what movement, there are going to be people in it who misinterpret it.
      Feminism is based on equality for all from a starting point that recognizes that men have received much more privilege in the past, and still receive much more privilege now, than women. It is not hatred, it is not misanthropic, and starting/perpetuating a dichotomy between the sexes, as this MRA supporter is doing, will not solve any problems. Rather, this dichotomy is where the hate comes from.

• Yah the privilege to die underground in a mine in order to support the family unit. Or was it to die on a battlefield after a suffragette handed a male a white feather?
        I know it must have been the privilege of going to jail if your wife rang up a bill you couldn’t afford to pay.
        It is your simplistic view of history which has created the current friction.
        Its feminism for profit which has created the hate.
        Now do try and learn something outside of genduhh studies Joel, it will do you and society well.