Community involvement at SFU is invaluable

0
522

Congratulations on making it in, or making it back to SFU! As an SFU student, you have amazing extra-curricular options available to you, and your time here will be greatly improved if you capitalize on the many opportunities to get involved outside of the classroom.

In the short term, extra-curricular involvement at SFU will benefit you greatly. You will have the satisfaction of contributing positively to the community, and shaping the environment of your school. You will make friends with people you would never have met in class, learn about various social events, and gain experience that may make you eligible for various community service based scholarships and awards.

In the future, your involvement will be a great asset in a competitive, diverse world where having a rewarding professional life may require more than a university degree. Extra-curricular involvement is a fantastic way to learn and master organizational, time management, and leadership skills, and you will likely gain valuable practical experience in teamwork, delegation, decision making, budget management, public speaking, and networking. 

The involvement opportunities at SFU suit a diverse range of interests, skills, and time availabilities. If you are interested in student government, you can get involved with the Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS) or the Graduate Student Society (GSS). You can also become involved in your departmental student union (DSU), your faculty student union (FSU), and SFU’s senate or board of governors.

The involvement opportunities at SFU suit a diverse range of interests, skills, and time availabilities.

If you’re interested in social justice, be sure to check out the Rotunda groups. If you’re interested in social activities or have a specific hobby, consider joining an SFSS club. If you’re interested in writing, consider contributing to The Peak. This list is by no means exhaustive and is just a small sample of the plethora of opportunities that are available to you. 

It is normal to feel overwhelmed with all the opportunities and acronyms, and to be confused by how to get involved. Finding your ‘involvement niche’ takes some exploration, experimentation, and time. Do not worry about creating a formal extra-curricular activities plan. You will likely have more success in simply trying new things whenever you can.

Once you get involved, you may experience the ‘involvement snowball effect.’ This is where, due to confidence and experience, you are willing and able to become involved in even more roles and initiatives. Once you’ve found your ‘involvement niche,’ do not be afraid to take your time; an extra year, or even an extra semester, may allow you to capitalize on more opportunities, build important connections, and may provide you with practical experience that you would not have been able to obtain otherwise. 

It is important to acknowledge that many students have circumstances in their lives that make it more difficult for them to become involved. Employment, long commutes, heavy academic pressures, child-care requirements, and taking classes that are spread across multiple campuses can make it particularly challenging to get involved outside the classroom. Take on only what you can, and do not feel pressured to be ultra-involved if it is beyond your capacity.

It is never too early or too late to start taking advantage of the many extra-curricular opportunities that being an SFU student provides. You have worked hard to get here and are now uniquely positioned to have a fantastic university experience where you can contribute to the community, and graduate with a host of skills, experience, and connections. These will help you succeed professionally, so make sure you get involved in the SFU community!