Main street Massacre is a work of art

0
519

A recent online video game entitled “Main Street Massacre” has sparked a furious commotion from Vancouver’s public transit system, Translink, over the last couple of weeks. The violent game, which depicts an angry construction worker as he guns down pedestrians at a station labelled Main Street, has had Translink’s lawyers on the prowl, and the media clawing at any information they can get their hands on.

But amidst the accusations that the game will provoke violence at Skytrain stations, and that it infringes on Translink’s intellectual property, what the public seems to overlook is that the game is, first and foremost, an item of artistic expression.

Colin Palmer, the game’s creator, remains rooted in his intentions, telling CBC that “it’s a work of art,” a “political statement,” and that it was designed to be “provocative.” I have no trouble in seeing this game as exactly that.

In light of the game’s media coverage, many Skytrain-goers have expressed anxiety over their safety while taking public transit. The Province recently interviewed commuters on the subject, many of which claimed the game is “too close to home” and will incite violence in Vancouver’s public spaces. Palmer, however, quickly removed Translink’s logo from the game to cut its ties with Vancouver, and to avoid clash with copyright law.

The game’s setting resembles just about any other subway station there is; players shouldn’t give the setting a second thought and should only see the game as a general protest of public transit. If the public feels that its safety is threatened, this is due to the media’s over-saturation of the story as a ‘game that promotes violence at Skytrain stations,’ and not the actual game itself.

Palmer’s game is a provocative and reasonable statement on public transit.

It’s an artistic piece — Palmer felt the need to be creative in expressing his frustrations. He mirrors his video game’s character, as they are both construction workers, managing stressful jobs that have them under physical and mental strain throughout the day. To have public transit break down after this busy workday only adds to Palmer’s (and his character’s) stress.

Main Street Massacre allowed Palmer to release his frustrations in a safe and harmless manner, while also making a political statement about the quality of public transit. If anything, the game should act as a jolt of realization for Translink to clean up its act and to start brainstorming strategies that will make its transit system run smoothly.

What also bothers me about this situation is that the hype surrounding the game seems to have arisen, at least in part, from the type of medium in which this form of expression is presented. If the same narrative were told on a poster, or through a song, would the news still buzz with excitement on the issue? Would Translink be as furious as it is now? Would lawyers be as adamant to remove it from the internet?

Thankfully, I am not one to see an issue with Main Street Massacre. With the countless other violent video games plaguing the internet, I do not feel my safety is any more at risk than it normally would be while taking the Skytrain. Palmer’s game is a provocative and reasonable statement on public transit, and is expressed with creativity. It’s a move that more people should really take the time to consider.