Clan suffer third GNAC loss

1
470

The SFU men’s soccer team played to a frustrating 2-1 defeat at home Thursday against the Seattle Pacific University Falcons (SPU). It was expected to be a stern test, as the Falcons — who now sit atop the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) standings with their eight wins — are ranked fourth nationally.

The Clan took to the pitch with confidence in full force, and were once again leading the match instantly following kickoff. Alex Rowley’s corner kick was headed in by last year’s GNAC Newcomer of the Year, Magnus Kristensen, for his first of the season.

SFU nearly lost their advantage just moments later, when goalkeeper Brandon Watson couldn’t play his clearance away from the 18-yard box, but Joel Malouf rushed across the face of goal to stop a near equalizer.

In another flurry of chances, the Clan nearly doubled their lead when midfielder Ryan Dhillon sprang loose down the right wing and made a cross to Jovan Blagojevic, but the conference’s top scorer couldn’t convert from the tight angle.

The Falcons clawed their way back into the game in the 15th minute thanks to SPU forward Stephen MacDonald’s strike on the counter attack.

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 4.07.58 PMAnother rapid response came from the Clan when Nico Espinosa unleashed Dhillon with an accurately lobbed pass to the edge of the penalty area, but the winger saw the one-timer painfully fly into the side netting.

Seattle continued their confident play and would eventually capitalize on some defensive unease in SFU’s back line to take the lead. MacDonald netted his second of the night in the 28th minute with a low strike off the post that was well out of reach for Watson.

With the game’s second half underway, the Falcons seemed content to soak up the pressure from the Clan with plenty of men committed at defence. As Seattle fought for additional counter attacks, Watson was crucial in handling the aerial balls from the Falcons to keep his side’s hopes alive.

Seattle keeper Rodney Greiling was equally impressive after being subbed in at half time, with two vital stops on chances from Joseph Martin and Callum Powell. Ultimately, the high flying Falcons were able to claim a record 10th straight win.

“They’re a very good team, they’re confident, and they wanted it more than we did,” said Clan head coach Alan Koch. “I think if we’d scored more goals early then we would’ve won tonight, and that’s the nature of the game.”

1. I’m on the verge of publicly denouncing nearly all the BC referees who reffed our home matches. Their incompetence is becoming way to unacceptable.