Future climate sustainability must begin with education

0
480

Because climate change is a fairly recent issue, it has been difficult to arouse the public’s interest enough to reverse the trend. During my high school years in Hong Kong, students would occassionally be exposed to discussions on this issue. An article from Rabble suggests that “education about climate change must become front and center in our curriculum at all levels of schooling and across disciplines” — a statement with which I agree immensely.

As unpleasant as it is to admit, climate change is one of the most serious crises we face on this planet. It is no longer an issue that troubles only a few countries; the issue has now quickly come to affect almost every part of the world. If we do not act quickly, future generations will suffer.

Climate change issues cannot be solved in a short period of time, therefore, the education of future generations is an essential element in building a sustainable future.

One of the problems with current climate change education is that it’s introduced too late in the school curriculum. In elementary school, these issues are barely touched upon, and only in high school is the subject really introduced. It is best to start educating students when they are young, in order to successfully encourage them to change their attitudes and behaviours.

Educators must show understanding and be passionate when teaching.

Unfortunately, I find that some teachers do not have adequate knowledge on the issue, and are therefore unable to enlighten students fully. Furthermore, educators must be passionate about what they teach their students. A real interest in a certain situation would do wonders in influencing students’ perceptions.

Sadly, during my high school days, climate change talks could be dull. Teachers tended to bombard students with scientific research — statistics, graphs, charts, and quantitative facts — that did little to arouse student interest.

An interactive learning approach may be a useful alternative in educating students on climate change. Innovative, hands-on activities would be a decent method to use on children.

Point blank, while we may have yet to come up with some truly effective methods that will motivate people to participate in a viable climate change solution, education and awareness for our future generations is where it starts.

Carbon dioxide levels have almost doubled in the past 60 years, global sea levels have risen about 17 centimetres in the last century, and extreme weather is occurring all over the world. As everyone is responsible for the environment, we must invest our time, money, and interest in raising our future generations to be globally empathetic, innovative individuals who will build our sustainable future.