Why Canadians need to stop freaking out over the Ebola outbreak

0
552
Extensive media coverage has left Westerners in a state of paranoia.

The rapid spread of the Ebola virus has undoubtedly become one of the worst epidemics in recent history, claiming the lives of thousands in West Africa. Ironically though, as victims fall prey to the outbreak thousands of kilometres from our borders, Westerners over here in ‘prosperity-land’ are left shaking in their boots. After all, it could be any day now that a weary traveller fresh from disease-ridden Sierra Leone steps foot on Canadian soil, thus sounding the alarms for terrified public health officials to race over and quarantine the hell out of that poor individual.

Extensive media coverage has left frightened Canadians in a state of paranoia. But what we Westerners must realize is that the only outbreak we’ll be falling prey to is that of anxiety bordering on hysteria.

In many respects, it’s become the media’s duty to shroud foreign epidemics in a certain melodrama. This isn’t to belittle the fact that, since March, over 4,700 people have been killed by the virus, it’s to say that our nation’s perception of this issue, through the corporate lens of the news, has been vastly misinformed.

Yes, Canadians should be worried about the possible introduction of the disease to the country — after all, it only makes sense — but what we should be even more worried about is how our news coverage is currently skewing the issue through too much speculation and too few facts.

Currently, our nation’s precautionary measures regarding a Canadian Ebola outbreak are sturdy. Apart from sending out 800 vials of experimental vaccines to the World Health Organization last Monday, the Public Health Agency of Canada has placed two large groups of epidemiologists and other experts ‘on call’ in Winnipeg and Ottawa.

Harper has needlessly ingrained a bloated issue into our Canadian psyche.

In addition, quarantine officers have been stationed at six major airports across the country, while Prime Minister Stephen Harper recently announced an intensive Ebola-preparedness plan with Nova Scotia Health.

Needless to say, the only people at risk of contracting the virus would be those health officials in direct contact with a patient. Similar to the swine flu pandemic in 2009, our nation’s extensive security measures would ensure that such a patient is under quarantine within minutes, and everyone outside the quarantine zone would be kept safe.

It’s a shame that the media has spewed out so much editorial commentary on how Ebola has the potential to wipe out our nation — a commentary further amplified by activists and politicians. It’s ironic that, while Obama cautions his American herd to “not give in to hysteria or fear,” Harper proclaims to the True North that a great threat is upon us, stating that due to globalized travel, foreign issues “could arrive at our shores very quickly.” Apart from playing Mr. Obvious, Harper has needlessly ingrained a bloated issue into our collective Canadian psyche.

Statements such as these have even influenced us to consider unnecessary measures to prevent the spread of the virus. Some officials have suggested that Canada close borders to people traveling from anywhere in Africa — an enormous continent where those living on the Eastern side have even less a chance of contracting the virus than Europeans. These irrational notions could cause us to turn away almost an entire continent of comparatively healthy people.

While it’s human nature to fear what we do not understand, our fears are simply a product of misinformed speculation. I hope I’m not the only individual who’d like a little more light shed on the realities of the issue, rather than some Hollywood drama concocted by corporate conjurors to make a dime.