SFU volleyball dominate on Senior’s Night

0
518
The Clan won both the second and third sets by a margin greater than 10 points.

For their final home game, the Clan gave fans something great to remember until next year, sweeping the Saint Martin’s University (SMU) Saints.

It was Senior’s Night — the last time that Brooklyn Gould-Bradbury, Madeline Hait, Amanda Renkema, and Kelsey Robinson would suit up for the Clan in the West Gym. Robinson and Renkema lead the team in kills, while Hait is fourth on the team for kills.

Despite the sweep, it was actually the Saints who opened up the scoring on an SFU attack error. However, fitting for Senior’s Day, Robinson and Hait opened up the Clan’s scoring with two straight kills.

Throughout the first set, the Clan looked dominant, putting up two separate five-point streaks and a four-point streak, culminating in an 11-point lead. However, Saint Martin’s battled back with their own five-point streak. Still six points up, SFU wrapped up the set quickly with Robinson notching the final kill.

The momentum from the first seemed to carry into the second, with the Clan scoring 10 straight points as the set opened. After that, the offence balanced out with both teams taking turns notching points, but for the Saints it was too little, too late. With the help of an additional five-point streak, SFU easily won the second 25-13.

The Saints had the quick start in the third, taking three straight points. However, SFU would prove too much, and thanks to six- and seven-point streaks, the Clan won 25-14, thus completing the sweep.Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 7.57.33 PM

Robinson led the team with 10 kills along with sophomore Devon May. Renkema also put in a solid effort, netting nine kills on her final night in the West Gym. While libero Alison McKay led the scoresheet in digs, seniors made a great impression here as well, with Robinson and Gould-Bradbury taking second with nine digs each, a total matched by setter Danielle Curtis.

“I was very proud of how the girls stayed focused tonight,” head coach Gina Schmidt told SFU Athletics. “There are always lots of emotions with it being Senior’s Night but the team stuck to the game plan and executed well on a big night.”

With this win, the Clan bring their record to 16-8, and 10-6 within the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. Each win marks a new height for the team, as their previous high in the NCAA was 11 total wins, with only six in the conference, achieved last season.