Sports Briefs

0
552

Women’s Basketball

With a win against the Western Oregon Wolves on Saturday, January 17, Bruce Langford became the all-time winningest coach of the women’s basketball team with a record of 364–89 — surpassing his predecessor, Allison McNeill. “[McNeill] left a program with pride, expectations of excellence, and a closeness that seemed more like a family,” Langford told SFU Athletics. “I have tried my best to carry that tradition forward over the years.”

On Thursday night, the women’s basketball team earned Langford his 365th win with the team against the Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks. Erin Chambers led the team to a 78–70 victory, scoring 30 points of her own. The win puts SFU tied for second in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC), with a 6–2 in-conference record.

SFU Athletics announced January 16 that the women’s basketball team has signed Argyle Secondary School forward Sophie Swant. “Her intensity and competitiveness are unrivaled,” Langford said in an SFU Athletics press release of the 5’11” forward, who will be eligible to play next season. “Her rebounding is outstanding, and in the competitive GNAC league that will stand her in good stead.”

Men’s Basketball

Men’s basketball continued their seven-game losing streak at home against the GNAC leaders the Western Oregon Wolves on Thursday. At 114–75, it was their lowest-scoring game yet. The Clan have yet to win a game in the new year.

Football Tryouts

SFU Football is holding open tryouts for both SFU students and high school students on Saturday, January 31 at Terry Fox Field. SFU students are required be taking at least 12 credit hours to try out, as well as pay a $30 registration fee. Registration will be held the same day in the VIP lounge at the top of the West Gym, and will require a completed medical and tryout consent form (found on the SFU Athletics website). All participants are recommended to contact defensive coordinator Abe Elimimian in advance.

With files from SFU Athletics