My night with Stephen Colbert

0
451
Photo courtesy of The Boston Globe.

December 18, 2014 marked the end of an era in the edutainment community, as Stephen Colbert achieved immortality and set off to the moon in Santa’s sleigh along with Alex Trebek and Abraham Lincoln.

Five days earlier, I set off to New York City with the aim of witnessing one of the last live tapings of The Colbert Report. It is a show that galvanized me to pack up my small suitcase with the most absurd (and most sought-after) favourite items that I found in my wardrobe. Keep in mind, this included my Humphrey Bogart-meets-Hellboy urban-demon style trench coat, my Superman t-shirt, my peach-yellow Chinese 100 per cent acryclic scarf, my one-size-fits-Sasquatch black shoes with extra width, and lastly, my Irish green jeans that I borrowed from Jim Carrey after he was done playing The Riddler.

After settling my accommodations, I headed straight to 513 West 54 Street for a chance to see my favourite comedian in person. I was number 45 in the standby line; the day’s show accepted only 25 of those. I grudgingly went away and decided to go sleep, if only to calm my excited nerves.

The next day, I was number two in the standby line. I got in. It was surreal.

After we were warmed up by a local comedian and practiced laughing exercises, Stephen entered with polite pomposity and heartwarming generosity as he began his favourite part of the show – Q and A with the audience members.

The show started when Stephen finished answering his 10th or 11th question. Topics discussed in the show’s segments included lowering prices of oil, letting a sponsor rebrand the show, and Jeb Bush eyeing a presidential run.

After seeing Kendrick Lamar debuting a new untitled song (which has since made its way onto his upcoming third album), Stephen thanked him and waved goodbye to signal the end of that night’s show. He then answered one last question from the audience, which was about advice for improv classes. I found Stephen’s answer to be great advice for life as well. Stephen said, “Listen to other people. They are more important than you.” And that was it. 

Even though I couldn’t get in for another live taping the next day, I was able to get an autograph and a rare Medal of Truthiness (only four other people in the world possess this artifact of a bygone edutainment empire).

Stephen Colbert was recently in the news again, this time for being honoured at the 10th annual Oscar Wilde Awards on February 19 for his contributions to Irish film and television. The event took place at the Bad Robot production company of JJ Abrams, located in Santa Monica. Abrams also honoured Irish painter Colin Davidson, and the ceremony featured performances from Gavin James and Megan O’Neill.

The Oscar Wilde Awards, hosted by the non-profit US-Ireland Alliance, has become known and appreciated for its casual and non-pretentious atmosphere, as well as introducing Irish performers to a broader audience. Previous recipients and presenters have included Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, Jodie Foster, Julia Roberts, Paul Rudd, and Kate Winslet.

It’s too bad that he is only receiving the award now, as it would have been a perfect addition to one of my favourite segments on The Colbert Report: “Who’s Honoring Me Now?”

Colbert is scheduled to take his new position at The Ed Sullivan Theatre on September 8, 2015 when he takes over The Late Show from David Letterman.