Patrick Watson’s newest album is MGMT meets the Beatles

0
554
IslBG

Patrick Watson is a Canadian singer-songwriter born in Lancaster, California and raised in Montreal, Canada. His music style has been described as a mixture of cabaret, classical, and indie rock, and he is often recognized for his melancholy lyrics and melody. He is perhaps best known for the song “The Great Escape” from his 2006 Polaris Prize-winning album Close to Paradise and for his vocals on “To Build a Home” by the Cinematic Orchestra.

patrick_watson_love-songs-for-robots_coverWatson shows significant musical growth on his fifth album, Love Songs for Robots. He transports listeners to another galaxy with his melody and instrumentals. Fans will feel at home with Watson’s voice, lyrics, and melancholy sentiment and will be shown another side of his style with a complex melody composed of psychedelic guitar and drums that are reminiscent of MGMT’s mushroom trip vibes, or The Beatles’ “I Am the Walrus” and “Eleanor Rigby.”

There is tremendous beauty shown by Watson’s ability to deliver love songs of all species. Whether about a former lover mourning a previous companion or a loved one slowly losing their mind, Watson delivers music that is haunting and hits hard to the bone.

“Alone in this World” is especially powerful. It tells the tale of an Alzheimer’s patient from a first person’s point of view. Watson sings: “Ding dong, someone’s at the door / Who could it be? / I hope it’s sweet ol’ buddy / She’s supposed to be here by four / but there’s a stranger knocking at my door.”

He illustrates the tragic reality of losing one’s mind first-hand, inferring that the disease consumes your memory until all you can do is fall unconsciously into a dark abyss, losing the ability to recognize your oldest friend.

Watson’s smart lyrics combined with his powerful psychedelic melodies prove that he is an artist that continues to develop in sound and talent, while remaining true to his original roots. If psychedelic vibes paired with smart lyrics are for you, you’ll want to give a listen to Love Songs for Robots.