The importance of self-care

0
578
Photo Credit: Phoebe Lim

As I have a few more days off than I normally would this summer, I’ve been trying to keep every week busy. On one hand, it has been great to reconnect with friends and volunteer, but on the other, it has also been easy to overcommit myself and end up feeling emotionally and physically exhausted on top of my schoolwork and job.

Overloads of stress and exhaustion could eventually lead to burnout, or even depression, which is often common in a high-stress environment like university. However, as it usually starts gradually, there are simple changes one can make in their everyday life to prevent it from getting to this point.

It’s called “self-care.” Having struggled with depression and self-injury in the past, I found this to be a foreign concept. Self-care, defined by Pauline Salvucci, author of Self-Care Now, is “the right and responsibility to take care of your physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being,” looks different for each person.

At the time, this practice made me feel shameful because I thought it was selfish, or that I didn’t deserve to be helped. Now, I realize that that was far from the truth. Self-care is more selfless than it is selfish.

As I began learning (ever so slowly) how to care for myself and respect my limits, I saw a difference in my life. I had more energy to do the things I love, attend to my studies and workplace, and more importantly, I was able to help others more efficiently.

As I began learning how to care for myself and respect my limits, I saw a difference in my life.

For example, a couple weeks ago after finishing a 14-hour Mental Health First Aid course, I felt overwhelmed and hopeless in my own ability to help others who were struggling with mental health problems. Sulking in my bed that night, I remembered our instructor’s advice to practice some self-care, and for me, this was going to a birthday party and playing with some babies that night.

Since finishing that course, and practicing self-care on a more regular basis, I have felt more capable in handling a mental health crisis that might occur, and in supporting the teens in the youth group at my church. By setting aside some “me-time” to attend to my social, emotional, spiritual, and physical needs, I have felt stronger, healthier, and more equipped to support someone in their time of need.

Self-care doesn’t have to be done alone. I often misconstrue the phrase “I can take care of myself” into “I can handle it on my own,” when sometimes I just can’t. Having someone to listen to you and support you can be very beneficial, and sometimes I will talk to a friend or counsellor after experiencing something emotionally exhausting. Other times I’ll do some therapeutic activities like painting, laughing, writing poetry, or something more physical like having a good nap, eating well, or exercising.

As you get to know yourself better, you will come to know what types of self-care work best for you. Sometimes, I do just need to cry in my bed, and other times I just need to get out of bed when my only reason for staying in is not wanting to brush my teeth –– which happens more than I’d like to admit.

By practicing self-care, you’ll learn innovative ways to deal with stresses and problems that may arise in your own life, and in return, be better prepared to help that person who may need your support.