Cadiz de la Frontera headlines Flamenco Festival

0
1032

Flamenco Rosario proudly presented the 25th anniversary edition of the Vancouver International Flamenco Festival this year. The festival is dedicated to presenting innovative international, national, and local artists and fostering the evolution of traditional and contemporary forms of flamenco.

An extraordinary festival lineup was bolstered by the centerpiece show Cadiz de la Frontera, which was choreographed and performed by the renowned Spanish flamenco dancers Andrés Peña and Pilar Ogalla to the accompaniment of song by Inma Rivero and guitar by Juan Campallo.

Pilar and Andrés, partners in both life and dance, have garnered much international acclaim for their mastery of flamenco dance. Cadiz de la Frontera is their second collaborative piece, and their collective devotion to traditional flamenco forms shines throughout the performance.

Cadiz de la Frontera portrays the juxtaposition of earth and sea elements symbolic of the Andalusian cities of Jerez and Cadiz. The lively seaport city of Cadiz, open to diverse external cultural forces, was the birthplace of Pilar. Flamenco forms from Cadiz are more expressive, fluid, dramatic and invigorated, reflecting the characteristics of the city and its people.

The inland city of Jerez, where Andrés hails from, is more conservative and inward-looking, a place where hard work in the vineyards and a connection to the land prevails. Flamenco forms from Jerez are more rough and rooted yet deep and rhythmic, mirroring the ways in which the inhabitants live.

The duet performed by Pilar and Andrés deftly embodied the entwinement of these two lives from these respective cities and showcased the distinct ways that flamenco forms are interpreted and expressed in the flamenco capitals Cadiz and Jerez.

The story, emphasized by the minimal backdrop of coloured lights and blackened silhouettes, was interactively conveyed through the dancers, singer, and guitarist. Three wooden chairs placed close together on the center of the stage reflected spaces where conversations, observations, and relationships unfold.

Throughout the performance the dance, song, and guitar moved among the melancholic, somber, and mellow, and the animated, elated, and uplifting. I was immersed in the melodic fingerpicking and strumming of guitar and the perfectly emotional tones of the song.

The oscillating rigid to fluid body movements, facial features and hand gestures of the dance were synchronized to rapid-fire footwork, and rhythmic palmas (hand clapping) and pitos (finger snapping). As the story unraveled on stage, it caught in my throat. It was beautiful to ears, eyes, and heart.

The artists seemed incredibly proud to showcase their roots. There was much celebration and adoration for these talented artists in the room, and this was all too evident in the raucous cheers and comments coming from the audience. Cadiz de la Frontera was an exceptional performance of raw, passionate emotion and energy, which consistently left the audience captivated.

Cadiz de la Frontera was presented as part of the Vancouver International Flamenco Festival September 19 at the Vancouver Playhouse. For more information, visit flamencorosario.org.