Five albums to get you through the semester

0
433
Photo courtesy of Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam,

5) Earl SweatshirtI Don’t Like Shit, I Don’t Go Outside

Earl Sweatshirt has always displayed a dazzling mastery of the english language through his exceptional lyricism, and I Don’t Like Shit, I Don’t Go Outside is no exception. At a modest length of just under 30 minutes, Earl has made a dense album with many focuses relating back to the theme of maturity.

The album kicks off with “Huey,” which finds Earl flexing his lyrical prowess over a smooth organ while painting a picture of what his life is like at the moment. On “Mantra,” a track which sees Earl pick apart his collapsing relationship and accept responsibility, we see a type of obscure honesty that is rarely prevalent in the music industry of today.

“Grief” shows Earl rhyming over a low-fi beat while tackling the subject of chasing highs, which never seem to be attainable. The album closes with “Wool” featuring Vince Staples, a fiery track with emcees trading razor-sharp lines over a grimy beat.

4) King Krule6 Feet Beneath The Moon

King Krule is a London-based artist who is nothing short of exceptional on the guitar; his ability to seamlessly blend jazz, rock, and punk elements into his music is phenomenal. King Krule’s voice is distinctly his own, and when he’s crooning over tracks his presence can be felt like that of a thunderstorm — booming and in your face.

His unique vocal ability is best displayed on standout tracks “Easy Easy, Has it Hit?” and “Out Getting Ribs.” King Krule also has several smooth tracks on 6 Feet Beneath The Moon which showcase his skill on the guitar, as well as his ability to use his unique voice to gracefully glide over instrumentals.

6 Feet Beneath the Moon is a great commuting album because Krule makes it so easy to forget about what’s going on around you and he draws you in with his masterful guitar chords and vocal melodies.

3) Kendrick Lamargood kid, m.A.A.d city

Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper alive, and his album good kid, m.A.A.d city proves it again and again. good kid, m.A.A.d city is based on a narrative that takes the story’s protagonist, Kendrick, through a journey of finding himself in one of the world’s most chaotic cities: Compton, CA.

The album begins with “Sherane a.k.a. Master Splinter’s Daughter” where we are introduced to his profound storytelling ability. “Backseat Freestyle” is another standout track in which Kendrick roars over a ferocious beat made by Hit-Boy.

good kid, produced by Pharrell Williams, depicts the constant adversity Kendrick faces in his attempt to stay away from the street life.

2) Mac DeMarcoSalad Days

Mac DeMarco is a talented Canadian singer and songwriter. “Salad days” is a term coined by Shakespeare historically referring to the period when one is young and inexperienced, and now meaning when one is at their peak. Salad Days is a double entendre in this context, because on one hand DeMarco’s days of being young and inexperienced are coming to an end whereas on the other, Mac is at a peak.

The subject matter found on Salad Days is beautifully angsty, and focuses a lot on maturity. The standout title track shows DeMarco floating over beautiful guitar chords as he embraces the challenges of growing up and taking a path that is rather unconventional.

What’s beautiful about this record is that whether DeMarco is criticizing working a nine to five job or talking about letting go of a girl you’re not sure you love, he is never settling for anything less than exactly what he wants, as we all should.

1) Kanye WestThe College Dropout

Whether you love or hate Kanye West, you love Kanye West. The College Dropout is the most important album to ease you back into school. First of all, the music is nothing short of spectacular. The album kicks off with a bang with “We Don’t Care” and “All Falls Down,” the latter dealing with the subject of self esteem or lack thereof.

Kanye wears a second hat on this album: producing it entirely, which is no easy feat. Throughout the album there are several spectacular guest appearances. Jay-Z provides two braggadocio verses over one of the most powerful songs on the album, “Never Let Me Down.” Talib Kweli and Common shine on “Get Em High” which is an energetic tune that will have you storming around with all the confidence in the world.

The College Dropout is definitely anti-establishment, and this can be blatantly heard on the “School Spirit” skits where Kanye takes shots at people who only focus on school and believe that it’s the only route to success.