SFU’s Danison Buan gives food for naught

0
878
Photo by Lisa Dimyadi

SFU student Danison Buan is working on a new initiative to make a big impact on hunger. “Life is so short that one has to do what you can now, and not wait [. . .] one person can make a difference,” expresses the young entrepreneur.

Three times a week, Buan collects unsold food from grocery stores — food that would otherwise be wasted — and repurposes it as meals for the less fortunate.

He and his organization, Refood, work locally to reduce waste and fight hunger. The food is collected, cooked, and distributed amongst several local charities. Buan collaborates with the Union Gospel Mission, St. Barnabas, and Aunt Leah’s Place to distribute between 750 and 1,000 meals each week.

Food waste is a pressing issue for Canadians: we waste over $31 billion worth of food annually. “It’s a huge problem,”  says Buan.

Buan asks, “With such a rich country with so much food, how do we have so many hungry people?”

Buan saw the amount of food being thrown out by grocery stores as an opportunity to give back. “People see a nick on an apple and see an apple that is perfect right beside it, and they don’t purchase the apple with the nick,” he says.

“It’s about changing perspectives from convenience to reality,” says Buan. He offers eggs as an example. If a carton of eggs has a single egg broken, the entire case becomes unsellable and it will be wasted, even though the other 11 are perfectly edible. Likewise, food that may not be cosmetically perfect is still perfectly usable and delicious, but not as easy to sell.

Refood also saves businesses money. Unsold food must be composted, and businesses must dish out money for organic composting services. Refood solves economic, social, and environmental issues. “We’ve addressed the issues at once,” says Buan.

Buan’s idea for Refood won the One Prize in 2015 from the New West River Market, worth $2,000.

But his endeavors didn’t end there. In addition to Refood, Buan also operates Dani Moon Lending Corporation (DMLC), a microfinance company that provides capital to small- and medium-sized businesses in the Philippines.

The list goes on: Buan founded Skyvox Virtual Assistance, a company that outsources virtual assistance for small businesses. He also founded Vacation Assisted Living, which takes seniors with mild disabilities to exotic locations for an affordable price.

Buan is also the marketing director for Mr. Arancino, a food truck startup that will be launched on November 20. The idea, founded by his business partner, Yannick Cudennec, won a Coast Capital Savings Venture Prize in February of 2015. The truck, located at the Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain Station, will serve traditional Italian risotto balls as a healthy alternative to other fast foods.

The Peak: What are you trying to achieve through all of your endeavors?

Danison Buan: I want to support as many people as possible, feed as many people as possible, and add as much value back to everybody I meet. I’m doing these things because I believe it’s right.

P: How do you balance such a busy schedule?

DB: I work very carefully to push as much as I can out of a day. I have a very systematic approach that allows me to get things done faster. I keep a narrow focus on the task I’m doing. [. . .] I live in the moment. I don’t even have a phone plan.

P: No phone!? How do you manage?

DB: My phone is the most expensive day-planner out there. I reply to emails in the morning and at night, and schedule my meetings. I hate being interrupted. This entire time we’ve been talking I haven’t once looked down at my phone due to a text or email. I stay focused on the task at hand.

It’s important to me to live in the moment. People know that if we talk, I’m dialed in, I’m all there. Everything you say, I’m focused on.

I was sick of people cancelling 15 minutes before a meeting after I’d driven an hour to meet them. This way, people can’t cancel on me, because they know they can’t get a hold of me.

P: What’s your motivation?

DB: I have a sense of urgency. [. . .] Life can end just like that. Things could end right now. You don’t know how soon it’s going to happen. I have to take advantage of the time I’m given.

P: What’s the key to building a successful business?

DB: Organization, systems, and [teamwork]. I build sustainability. I build things that last. Build fast; talk is cheap.

P: Do you have any advice for SFU students?

DB: Don’t be afraid to take risks.

I love it here. I love how innovative SFU is. The best part of being at SFU is that everyone has ideas, and they’re willing to take risks with their ideas. Make good friends with everybody here. Take advantage of the contacts and networks you make here at SFU. I’m very happy to have built great relationships with people here.

Be open. There have been a lot of great entrepreneurs to come from SFU. If you want to take a risk, this is the school to go to.