Men’s hockey collapses in third period

0
375
SFU was not able to hold on to the 2-0 lead for the win.

The men’s hockey team was in tough against the Trinity Western Spartans. Last year’s top team in the BCIHL was no pushover, but the Clan got off to a quick 2–0 lead in the first period and things seemed to be under control. However, two late goals in the first tied the game up at two, and the winner was scored halfway through the third by the Spartans’ Jamey Kreller.

“Well, I think it was a little bit of complacency on our end,” said Head Coach Mark Coletta on the game’s disappointing finish. “When you go up 2–0, and you play very well the week before, I think it was more of a mental thing. We didn’t prepare mentally, and we weren’t cognizant that Trinity is a good hockey team.”

A notable but unsurprising absence from the lineup was forward Jaret Babych. Coming into the game, Babych had scored five points in six games with the Clan, four of which were goals. He had to leave the previous game against Eastern Washington after taking a hit high.

“It looks like a mild concussion. We will take all the precautions that we can so he can be ready in the future.”

To get out of the team’s current slump, it’s going to take a concerted team effort, according to coach Coletta. “In the past it’s always been, you look to a couple of the older guys or the veterans. But I think we have a team where we have a mix of seniors and a mix of first-year guys.

“This year is more of an internal group, and they guys themselves have to really pull together and find, again I keep coming back to this word, consistency. I think that’s the main thing.”

SFU’s Brendan Lamont was named the game’s second star. He scored the opening goal of the game, and had an assist on SFU’s second goal. Matthew-Berry Lamontagna finished with 12 minutes in penalties on the night. The SFU powerplay finished zero for four on the night.