SFU students’ selfless act helps save a life

0
524
SFU students and brothers Brian (left) and Graham Haddon at the Certificate of Merit ceremony on January 19, 2016.

It’s not every day that you get thanked by the Vancouver Police Chief for saving a life. On Jan. 19, SFU students and brothers Brian and Graham Haddon each received the Certificate of Merit for their role in saving the life of a young woman in a motor vehicle accident. It is the highest civilian order awarded by the Vancouver Police Board.

The Haddon brothers were on their way to catch a flight to Scotland, where they would compete at the World Pipe Band Championships with the SFU Pipe Band. Their commute was interrupted when they heard a crash under the Knight Street overpass.

“We heard a massive crash, and then screams,” Brian recounted. As they waited to merge onto Marine Drive, the accident became clear. The victim, a motorcyclist, was pinned underneath an SUV.

“It was confusing,” Graham said. “But once we figured out what was going on, I thought, how can I be best used in this situation?”

The instincts to help kicked into high gear. Along with their parents, both first responders, Brian and Graham leapt into action. Lifting the car, the brothers tried to make enough room for the victim to crawl out. Brian, while holding up the vehicle, had sustained a burn on his calf from the motorcycle’s hot exhaust pipe. Despite the pain, Brian knew that they had to keep going. “I knew she would be in a much worse off position if we let any more time pass.”

Once the victim had enough room to get out, the brothers helped move her to safety and stayed with her until paramedics arrived. They made it in time to catch their flight, and upon arrival back home they had learned that the victim was okay.

These were the heroic actions that were recognized at the awarding ceremony. The Haddon brothers were among many other heroes who were also receiving Certificates of Merit.

“We felt almost out of place. . . to be in the company of people that had done more heroic acts [was] truly humbling,” Graham said of the ceremony.

Aside from their passion to help others, the Haddon brothers also find great joy in performing with the SFU pipe band. Being of Scottish descent, they wanted to find a hobby that would help them to learn more about their heritage. “It really has grown on me, 14 years later,” Brian said with a laugh.

When not practicing with the pipe band, the Haddon brothers’ love for service is also reflected in their choice of studies. Brian is currently pursuing a major in Health Sciences with hopes of becoming a municipal police officer, while Graham is studying Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology, aspiring to be a respiratory therapist. But wherever their life paths take them, they hope that other people will realize the potential they have to help others in times of need.

In response to all those concerned that they may not be experienced enough when confronted with an emergency situation, both brothers agree that everyone has the capability to help others. They noted that the last thing one should do is take out their phone and film the incident — something the brothers found frustrating when they tried to flag down someone to help them.

“If people had put down their phones and helped, the situation could have been fixed much sooner,” said Brian. “If you aren’t confident with your abilities, don’t film it — call someone who can.” Comparing it to offering up a seat on transit to someone else that needs it more, Graham says that “helping a fellow human” should be “instinctual.”

“Don’t shy away from helping someone – just do it.”