Don’t worry, Trump will lose the Presidential election

0
636

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]s the Presidential race slowly reaches its climax, we begin to hear the same sayings from distraught Americans: ‘If so and so wins, I’m moving to Canada!’ But for any of you fearful Americans out there, I’ll jump out on a limb and say that you don’t really have anything to worry about — Trump will probably lose the upcoming election.

For those of you who support Trump’s loud-mouth, obnoxious, ‘that’s-just-how-it-is’ billionaire businessman antics, I’m sorry to say that he simply isn’t fit to be the spokesperson for arguably the most powerful nation in the world. A few qualities that all presidents must display are: calmness in the face of calamity, consistency in his judgements and actions, and strong mentorship. Trump displays none of these qualities, and I have faith enough in the American citizenry to recognize this deficit in a potential leader.

With the increased number of attacks claimed by ISIS in the last year, all leaders must speak calmly and authoritatively on reassuring the safety of their people and on advising a strategic plan of defense. The wise and well-selected words of Trump, “I’m going to bomb the shit out of them,” or the more refined and eloquent “I’d blast the hell of out them,” doesn’t assure the people of anything, and is far from any well considered plan of action.

And while, in some odd sense, it may seem funny to outright claim that a bordering nation, with whom you have significant economic ties, is sending ‘people with lots of problems’ into your country, it’s not a statement that  a president should ever make.

Even Bush Jr., a man notorious for fumbling his speech, displayed grace and a fine aptitude for public speaking, compared to Trump.

The fact is that Trump is wildly inconsistent in what he has said, and even more so in what he has done. An adolescent has more sense than to publicly disrespect his neighbour with whom he does business. An adolescent also has more sense than to, after disrespecting his southern neighbor and claiming he is going to build a wall between them, announce that he believes his neighbor is a wonderful nation that loves him.

Another aspect that Trump lacks is the ability to act as a role model for the citizens of America. Say what you will, but the president of the United States is a very powerful individual; many American citizens look up to the president, and consider their actions and those of other government officials as worth modelling themselves after. Would you really want children to idolize Trump?

Here in Canada we’ve had our own taste of political mockery. Remember Rob Ford? Would you seriously want him as the face of Canada?

Contrast this with the current president and many other great presidents prior. Obama, Clinton, Jefferson, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt, Eisenhower all far exceed the few standards I’ve stated above, and have, despite many criticisms, successfully led industrial power. Even Bush Jr., a man notorious for fumbling his speech, displayed grace and a fine aptitude for public speaking when compared to Trump.

And Trump, while you certainly are entertaining, you cannot seriously consider yourself the leader of one of the world’s superpowers when you cannot refrain from insulting the hard-working people who’ve built America. Although what is worse is that you disregard all of the decency and respect that the people of the 21st century deserve.