dvsn makes performing live look effortless

0
867
The duo started their tour off on a high note.

On June 8, Canadian R&B duo and recent OVO signings dvsn played their first show of their debut tour at Fortune Sound Club, to support their debut album Sept. 5th. The duo consists of talented singer Daniel Daley and producer Nineteen85, who’s become well-known for producing Drake hits such as “Hold On, We’re Going Home” and “One Dance. Think of electronic/trap R&B, with a lot of sexual innuendos mixed in the lyrics.

The evening started with the in-house DJ. At the beginning, he was trying to get the crowd going to not much effect. But once the place started to fill up around 10 p.m., there was a lot more energy to it. Of course, with dvsn signed to OVO, founded by Drake, you knew there would be some Champagne Papi songs, with remixes of “All Me,” “Controlla,” and “Still Here.”

Once dvsn got on around 11 p.m., they opened with probably their most recognizable song in “Try/Effortless,” with a snippet of Drake’s “Fire and Desire” mixed in. After “With Me” and “Do it Well,” they went into “Too Deep” — the definitive crowd favourite of the night, which includes some super sexual lyrics that they are getting well-known for. Other highlights included “Hallucinations,” and a Prince tribute with a cover of “Purple Rain.” It wouldn’t be an OVO concert without some more Drake as well, so they played their part from “Faithful,” one of the better songs off Drake’s new album in my opinion.

It’s very rare that you can hear an entire artist’s catalogue in one concert, but dvsn managed to play all 10 songs off their only album in just over an hour. They hit multiple high notes perfectly, and they sounded exactly like the album, which is not something that you can say for most acts. I had also never been to a concert at Fortune before, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the acoustics were. The bass was thumpin’ and you could perfectly hear the vocals.

In all, it was a great concert. If you’re a fan of R&B such as the Weeknd, I definitely recommend giving these guys a listen.