SFU erupts for six goals in win over Western Oregon

0
432
Sierra Leung (#21) scored to make it 6-0 for the Clan.

It was a furiously intense game from start to finish for the women’s soccer team, defeating Western Oregon University (WOU) 6–0. SFU lost its previous two home games against Western Washington University (1–0) and Seattle Pacific University (1–2).

Monpreet Heer dismantled WOU’s defence, assaulting it with two goals and two assists. Emma Pringle, Katelyn Erhardsen, and Jenna Baxter each netted a goal for SFU. Goalies Priya Sandhu and Simone Tessler made a total of five saves. Sierra Leung closed out the Clan’s performance with a goal in the 87th minute.

Erhardsen opened the score in the 16th minute with a high lob, assisted by twins Christina and Allyson Dickson. Less than 60 seconds later, freshman Pringle doubled the immediate lead of the Clan, with a majestic header from inside the box after catching a header off cross from Heer, adding a sixth goal to her first season. Thirty minutes into the game, forward Heer opened her scoring account for the season with a penalty kick after Christina Dickson was hauled down in the Wolves’ box.

The Clan, more motivated than ever, did not wait long for a fourth goal. Two minutes later, Allyson Dickson combined a passing game with Heer, who fired a shot to the left corner of the box. The girls were leading 4–0 at the end of the first half.

Midfielder Baxter notched a goal 25 minutes into the second half. Leung deployed some speed down the left sideline, getting the ball to Heer, who was already positioned in Wolves’ territory. Baxter, an Oregon State transfer, curled a shot that landed straight into the right corner of the net.

“It was important for the team and us to get other people to score, just let other players rise up and shine and see what they can do”

Three minutes before ending the Wolves’ nightmare, Leung attacked with a low shot into the penalty box and scored an absolute beauty, assisted by Allyson Dickson.

“I wanted to score a goal today, I just didn’t let anything get in my way. All of us collectively each wanted to [get] a goal,” said Leung.

Heer, who was the leading scorer of the game, commented on the Clan’s performance: “We came into this game with a lot of confidence in ourselves. It’s been a goal of mine too to get on the scoring sheet, and today I did that.”

The Clan gave no easy task to Wolves’ goalkeeper Caitlin Kastelic; the team created a total of 24 attempts, including six goals.

“We chatted before the game as a team, it was important to come confident to the pitch and execute the way we play,” explained head coach Annie Hamel. “Those two losses were against two really good opponents. We had a very candid chat about who we want to be and how we want to play. They executed very well the plan.

“We talked about confidence and their burning desire to win. It was important for the team and us to get other people to score, just let other players rise up and shine and see what they can do.”

The Clan is looking forward to adding another victory against the Northwest Nazarene Crusaders. The game is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. on October 6.