Posted in Opinions

Vine’s vanishing . . . and?

It might be sad, but everyone’s got better things to move on to

Image Credits: Charles Do

Who knew only six seconds could bring people so much entertainment? As you might already know, in 2013, an app called Vine launched. It became a video platform for people to share funny moments, spread their talent, and do much more through six-second clips.

Whether it was Gavin and his Uncle #cute, people’s tragic falls being looped with “In the Arms of the Angel” playing in the background, or talented singers like Shawn Mendes, Vine was always full of eager users creating content for viewers to enjoy. Without that, we would never have experienced this particular brand of creativity.

You could spend hours going through Viners’ feeds, looping their work forever. Well, “forever” isn’t here anymore.

Vine and Twitter recently shared a joint statement telling the world they’re discontinuing the mobile app. They plan to keep the website and preserve Vines users have already made, but will notify the public if this changes.

It was completely out of the blue — but if you think about it, does it really come as a surprise?

Many of Vine’s original big-name content creators have branched off to complete projects with more than six seconds’ worth of staying power. To name a few, Shawn Mendes just released his sophomore album and is about to go on a world tour, King Bach has starred in shows such as The Mindy Project and House of Lies, and Hayes Grier recently competed on Dancing with the Stars.

In other words, most of the prominent voices in the Vine community are doing just fine without the app. While many have expressed their sadness that the app is going off line, it doesn’t seem like anyone has made a serious effort to keep Vine alive. With that in mind, is it actually a big deal that it’s ending?

The answer really is no. You might no longer be able to post anything new on the app, but the OG Vines are enough to keep bringing smiles to our faces, just as they always have. Even if the clips were to disappear someday, everything lasts online: there are lots uploaded to YouTube that you can spend hours watching.

Perhaps there’s no longer a place to post hilarious, edited moments from awards shows or sports games. It also takes out a platform for aspiring artists to share their voice and talent. But thankfully, whatever disappears along with Vine can be replaced through other social media platforms.

It’s brought so much success to others that it’s a shame it had to end like this. In a weird way, I have Vine to thank for bringing me some of my closest friends and keeping us connected. We’d send Vines to each other and laugh all day in high school; even after moving 3,000 miles apart, this didn’t change.

So enjoy the last few moments of Vine, before it disappears in what will probably feel like six seconds. May we wish Flavio an abundance of “Happy Birthdays,” hope that boy never loses his bubbly, and see Ken Bone winning the election.