World News Beat

Bite-sized news from around the world

0
455

By: Jonathan Pabico and Bernice Puzon

Greece – Three dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at refugee camp

A refugee camp located on the Greek island of Lesbos was shaken by tragedy after three migrants died inside the camp within the week. Three men were found dead in their tents, with the inhalation of carbon monoxide from the toxic fumes of heaters being investigated as their cause of death. More than 60,000 refugees currently reside in camps around Greece. Concerns of poor living conditions and overcrowding have been voiced by nonprofit organizations working at these camps.

With files from BBC News

US – Members of credit card scam arrested in US

Habib Chaudhry, one of 20 arrests, was taken into custody for participating in a $200 million credit card fraud operation. Thanks to the efforts of the FBI’s cyber division, this scheme was terminated back in 2013, but was discovered to have a surprisingly intricate system. 7,000 false identities were used for the fraud, while 1,800 fake addresses helped make these identities sound more authentic to potential victims. The group that orchestrated this scam used the thousands of cards they acquired for their own spending, leaving behind numerous unpaid debts.

With files from BBC News

Australia – Drug that mimics shark immune system could cure lung disease

Inspired by an antibody found in sharks, Australian researchers have developed a drug called AD-114 that could possibly cure the lung disease idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). The drug would create antibodies that would attack fibrosis-causing cells, effectively preventing them from taking over the body. This result reinvigorates the hope to cure IPF.  The drug did so well in tests that scientists have concluded that its applications could potentially extend to other illnesses, such as liver disease. Trials of the drug will hopefully begin by next year.

With files from BBC News

USA – Trump fires US lawyer for opposing immigration ban

Sally Yates lost her position as acting US attorney general when President Trump fired her for refusing to establish legal support towards his immigration ban.  The ban would prevent immigrants coming from countries such as Syria, Sudan, and Somalia from travelling across US borders. Yates’ opposition against the ban was regarded by the White House as an act of betrayal against the justice department.  She previously worked for the Obama administration, but Dana Boente, another US attorney, will now assume Yates’ role as the new acting US attorney general.

With files from BBC News

Czech Republic – Thousands of emails downloaded in cyber attack against foreign state officials

The emails of dozens of senior diplomats have been hacked in a mass cyber attack in the Czech Republic. Lubomír Zaorálek, the Czech Republic’s foreign affairs minister, compared the breach to the one that occurred for the Democratic party during the US presidential election. Thousands of files were downloaded from Zaorálek and his subordinates’ inboxes in what has been dubbed the Czech Republic’s “biggest security scandal in recent years.”  Another foreign ministry official who chose to remain anonymous said that fingers were being pointed at Russia for the attack.

With files from The Guardian

UK – Antimalarial treatment takes unexpected failure for UK patients

Four patients in the UK underwent a drug treatment to combat malaria that unexpectedly failed in protecting them from the disease. The drug’s ability to treat malaria was short-lived, as patients treated for the illness were suddenly called back to address the treatment’s failure. It was determined that the malaria parasite had become immune to the drug’s effects, rendering the drug ineffective. To Dr. Colin Sutherland, it was imperative that UK doctors remained aware of the drug’s potential to fail when treating a patient in the future.

With files from BBC News

USA – Tesla opens the world’s largest battery storage plant

On January 30, major car company Tesla unveiled their new battery storage plant in the California desert. The plant, which is the largest of its kind on earth, houses 16,000 lithium-ion battery cells which have the ability to power a total of 15,000 homes. The plant is part of a project to provide back-up energy in case of shortages in the area, and is critical for the storage of wind and solar energy as an alternative to fossil fuels.

With files from Fortune