Contributor Pay Policy

1. Contributors to The Peak are eligible to be paid if they meet all of the following criteria:
            a) They are members in good standing of the Peak Publications Society;
            b) They are registered in at least one SFU class in the semester in which their contribution is published;
            c) They are not an editor of The Peak;

2. Employees of Peak Publications Society will be paid provided they:
           a) Meet all the above criteria;
           b) And are credited as an associate on the contribution.

3. Pay will be calculated by the following rules:
           a) Articles will be determined to fall into one of the following categories by section editors, subject to review by the Editor-in-Chief:
                   i. Bite-size content, generally defined as extremely brief content involving little or no research, such as Peak Speak, house ads, and “filler” content, shall not be paid;
                   ii. Brief content, such as news briefs (world news beat, etc.), CD reviews, New Music Friday, or letters to the editor (generally less than 300 words), shall be paid $10;
                   iii. Standard articles, such as most news reports, interviews, and editorials (generally 300-700 words), shall be paid $30;
                   iv. Short features, such as most Last Words and one-page features (generally 750-1200 words), shall be paid $50;
                   v. Features, such as research-intensive articles taking more than one page (generally over 1200 words), shall be paid $75;
             b) Photographs, illustrations, cartoons, and other graphic contributions shall be determined to fall into one of the following categories by section editors, subject to review by the Editor-in-Chief:
                   i. $10 per event or story for photographs that are published accompanying content written by the photographer;
                   ii. $20 per event or story for photographs that are published accompanying content written by someone other than the photographer;
                  iii. $20 per simple illustration, graphic, or single panel comic generally defined as those taking less than an hour to produce;
                  iv. $30 for all other illustrations, graphics, or multi-panel comics;
                  v. $50 for any image appearing as the primary graphic on the print edition’s cover, paid instead of the above rates.
             c) In the case of a contribution with more than one author, each author shall receive 150% of the normal value of the contribution divided by the number of authors, with the exception that authors that are ineligible for contributor pay shall not be entitled to their share;
            d) Contributors shall only be paid once for a single contribution, and shall not be paid if it is re-published.
            e) Filming and editing
                  i. Small contributions such as a suggestion for a topic to be produced, or similar, shall not be paid;
                 ii. Brief contributions to a multimedia project, wherein the Multimedia Editor and/or the Multimedia Assistant is the primary producer or editor shall be paid $30;
                 iii. Large-scale contributions, wherein the Multimedia Editor and/or the Multimedia Assistant is not responsible for the majority of production shall be paid $50;

4. Notwithstanding any other part of this policy, if a contributor who is a sitting officer or employee of the Simon Fraser Student Society or Graduate Student Society at SFU is involved in creating a contribution that engages with issues of student politics, or any other contributor is involved in creating content that comments upon or benefits any organization or group from which they receive any pay, regardless of whether that pay is specifically for producing that content, that piece shall not be paid, and shall not count toward the three-piece minimum to qualify for pay.

5. Contributors must not submit their invoice until after the final issue of the semester has been published and invoices must be received by the Business Manager no later than the end of the month in which the last issue was published.

6. If a contributor does not collect their pay within six months of the last issue of a semester, that contributor will be considered to have forfeit their pay for that semester.

7. This policy may be amended, replaced, or abolished by a majority vote of the Peak Publications Society Board of Directors.

8. Contributors who complete an assignment which is not published due to circumstances beyond the contributor’s control, shall still be paid the full amount, subject to the discretion of the section editor and ultimately the Editor-in-chief.