Satellite Signals

0
662

surrey

Surrey

Last week was election season for the Surrey Campus Committee (SCC), a branch of the SFSS based out of SFU’s Surrey campus. An online vote was held April 1 and 2. The following candidates were elected for a term from May 1, 2014, to April 30, 2015. Taylor Theodore, Chief Officer; Sukhman Thind, Surrey Affairs Officer; Aman Taggar, Promotions and Outreach Officer; and Jessica Leung, Campus Life Officer. Joanne Yoon, Jaskirat Aujla, Juzer Antria, Hitesh Advani, Jessica Thandi, and Dhruv Arora were elected as General Officers.

WEB-woodward

Woodward’s

SFU’s Centre for the Contemporary Arts has named Howard R. Jang as its new cultural unit director. Jang is currently the executive director of Vancouver’s Arts Club Theatre Company, and has participated in The Canada Council for the Arts as a board member since 2012. He plans to use his background as an artist and administrator to both inspire innovative thinking and build community-driven partnerships on behalf of SFU.

vancouver

Harbour Centre

On Wednesday, April 2, George Nicholas put on a presentation that questioned the ethics of research practices used to gather information about the heritage of indigenous peoples. The discussion around who “owns” or has the right to benefit from Indigenous heritage is a hot topic at local, national, and international levels. Nicholas proposed that collaborative research models where the community is directly involved in deciding the direction of the research must be implemented immediately, if protection of Indigenous heritage is to be effective.