Sports Briefs

0
466

Hockey

After falling 8-3 in Victoria, SFU hockey had a rematch against UVic — this time at home — and won 6-3. Victoria scored first, but rookie Tyler Basham scored twice to give SFU the lead. SFU outshot UVic 34-20.

Soccer

In their second-last game of the season, the Clan men’s soccer team won 3-0 against the South Dakota School of Mines Hardrockers. Captain Jovan Blagojevic netted his 17th to open up the scoring, while Callum Whittaker and Callum Powell added tallies. The Clan are locked in third place in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC).

Academics

Seven Clan soccer players were honoured with a spot on the GNAC Soccer Academic All-Conference Team, for excellent academic performance: Olivia Aguiar, Aja Choy-Halo, Sophie D’Souza, Andrea DiLorenzo, Ryan Dhillon, Robert Hyams, and Brandon Watson. Watson and DiLorenzo led the list with 4.15 and 4.12 GPAs respectively, while Dhillon and Choy-Halo achieved the honour for a second time.

Basketball

Men’s basketball scored 115 points in 139-115 loss to Division I University of Idaho in an exhibition game held in Moscow, ID. The Clan went into halftime with the lead at 70-64, but Idaho would prove too much in the second half. Sango Niang led the team with 27 points.

With files from SFU Athletics and SFU Hockey.