University Briefs

0
558
Photo courtesy of iVote.

UBC researcher looks for a sensitivity gene

A UBC study shows that genes may be in charge of sensitivity to emotional information in humans.

UBC psychology professor and researcher Rebecca Todd believes that there is a genetic variant that influences how one perceives emotionally relevant triggers more sharply.

This gene could lead researchers to finding different approaches to treating trauma. Although the study is not inclusive of all ethnic populations and different age groups in Canada, Todd says it could provide a breakthrough in how trauma is addressed.

With files from The Ubyssey

Party leaders talk sustainability at U of O

The Faculty of Social sciences at the University of Ottawa hosted a political discussion about environmental sustainability with the three major political parties in Canada. The debate focused on different parties’ policies when it comes to environmental issues and how they are incorporated into their platforms for the upcoming election.

Despite party platform differences, the political parties present at the debate agreed that there needs to be regulations on Canadian corporations’ carbon output.

With files from The Fulcrum

UVic accused of racist hiring practises

A letter sent to the Visual Arts department chair at the University of Victoria stated concerns of the University excluding an Aboriginal candidate from being hired for an assistant professor position.

The letter, which was sent to the Department Chair Paul Walde and was signed by 27 faculty members and individuals, asserts that the hiring process was “biased against Indigenous candidates.”

The chair refused to comment on the grounds that it would breach the confidentiality of the hiring process.

With files from The Martlet