A foodie’s paradise at the Vancouver Food Cart Festival

0
602
Photo courtesy of Arrival Agency.

Vancouver’s Food Cart Festival blasts groovy, retro tunes and really brings the beach to you. With False Creek only a stone’s throw away, there’s a manmade beach where you can kick back, relax, and enjoy one of the many delicious items from one of the dozens of food trucks parked at Olympic Village.

There are so many enticing smells it’s hard to choose between famous meals like Tacofino, Mogu Japanese Street Eats, or Mom’s Grilled Cheese. With over twenty local food trucks each week to choose from, you’d better come hungry. This is Vancouver’s largest celebration of street food offering everything from Indian to Thai to French cuisine, and it is guaranteed to leave you satisfied.

Every year Arrival Agency, Streetfood Vancouver, and Vancity put on this amazing event. Last year over 5,000 people attended, and a similar crowd is expected this year. On top of the festival featuring food trucks that are members of Streetfood Vancouver, a non-profit association that showcases the best food trucks in our city, it also boasts plenty of other great activities.

Have some fun in a ping pong tournament or just play a casual game, hosted by Ping Pong Club’s Michael Unger. If you have to bring a younger sibling along, or are taking the whole family out, there is a kids’ recreation zone put on by Bricks 4 Kidz. The latest feature in entertainment this year is the licensed live-music patio with a 400-person capacity. Enjoy local talent alongside BC’s best craft beer and wine.   

With this crazy summer heat, anything that can cool you down is bound to be popular and yield a decent sized line. Whether you’re in the mood for some freshly squeezed juice or a homemade freezie, they’ve got it.

At my recommendation, head over to Johnny Pop’s, who claim to have the best popsicle you’ve ever tasted (and I would have to agree). With flavours like Blueberry Mojito, Avocado Lime, and Blackberry Cheesecake it’s hard to choose; if you have the chance, though, try them all. It’s a perfect summer treat. 

For all those environmentally conscious people out there, not to worry; this is one of Vancity’s Zero Waste Events. Only compostable or recyclable packaging is used by the food trucks, and ambassadors from United We Can will be on standby to help direct people and assist in the efforts of maintaining a litter-free zone. Last year 93 per cent of the waste was diverted, and this year hopes to see the same level of environmental responsibility.

If you thought you missed this tasty event, fear not! It takes place every Sunday from June 28 until September 6, which gives you plenty of prime chow time. Come on over to 214 West 1st Avenue between 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to grab lunch, dinner, or just a snack. Admission is $2.50, but is free for Vancity Members or for those who donate a nonperishable item to the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society.

Try something new every week, and find your new favorite food truck to hunt down in Vancouver.