Rachel Browne documentary screens at Dancing on the Edge

0
835
Photo courtesy of Winnipeg Film Group.

The mother of modern dance in Canada is honoured in Danielle Sturk’s insightful documentary, A Good Madness. Rachel Browne founded the first modern dance company in Canada in 1964, Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers, and served as artistic director, choreographer and teacher for over 20 years. The film’s title is from an interview with Browne where she explained that her determination to keep dancing and keep her body in shape was a type of madness, but a good madness.

This film demonstrates her indefatigable drive to keep dancing, keep choreographing, and keep pushing the art form. Her creativity and unstoppable energy kept her going right up until her death in 2012.

Interviewed in the film are her three daughters who describe the difficulties of growing up with an often absent mother who was single-mindedly focused on her work. We also hear from many dancers who worked with Browne over the years, and they all speak of her as a woman who knew what she wanted, commanded respect, and never stopped thinking about dance. They also describe her magical stage presence and ability to command an audience even before she started moving.

The real joy of this film is seeing Browne’s works performed and interpreted in unique settings that really bring them to life. My Romance is performed by Treasure Waddell in the CN train station in Winnipeg, Kristin Haight performs the eerie, animalistic Mouvement in a park in Winnipeg’s French quarter, and Freddy is performed 1930s German cabaret style by Sharon B. Moore in the Fort Garry Hotel.

Browne’s inspiration came from her fascination with nature and her curiosity and experimentation with movement. Her career wasn’t always smooth, but after being asked to step down from her role as Artistic Director at Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers, she reinvented herself and focused on some of her most creative choreography. Rachel Browne’s legacy lives on with her “dance daughters” across the country, whom she tirelessly mentored and inspired.

For more information about A Good Madness and Rachel Browne, visit agoodmadness.com and rachelbrowne.org.