NEW MUSIC FRIDAY

0
599

By: Sarah Finley, Courtney Miller, and Jessica Whitesel

Follow The Peak on Spotify to stay up to date on New Music Friday.

“Close” – Nick Jonas feat. Tove Lo

Jessica Whitesel: It is trying to be an R‘n’B love song. But that being said, it is a good song, but it probably won’t have staying power.

Sarah Finley: I have a deep seeded hatred for Nick Jonas, but Tove Lo’s sound seems to have balanced him out. Mini bass drops are sprinkled throughout the track, and Tove Lo has departed from her signature style — sounding bored. The combination makes for a pretty alright track. I won’t be saving it to my own playlists, but it’s not awful.

Courtney Miller: His voice can squeak a little too much at times, but it’s still surprisingly a pretty good, sultry, sexy track.

“Long Time” – Ty Dolla $ign feat. Quavo

JW: Well this sure is a Ty Dolla $ign song. He isn’t a bad rapper, but he doesn’t really ever do anything new either. If he tried to expand on his sound he could go from being mediocre to great.

SF: Lowkey, my guilty pleasure is rap songs where dudes talk shit about other dudes’ sex lives. This is exactly that, at least at the beginning (which is easily the best part of the song). I get more and more disenchanted as the track goes on, but listen to the first minute if you want to listen to and giggle at a major cock fest.

CM: Again, repetitive, dull rap. Unimaginative.

“Closer” – Elephante feat. Bishøp

JW: I could see myself trying to get closer to someone in the club while this song was playing or trying to dance to it in my car. All in all I can get behind this song, and will probably listen to it again.

SF: Echo-y vocals and upbeat instrumentals begin the song, and the initially tired-sounding vocals remind me of Lana Del Rey. This sound eventually merges into a bass drop, and the two bounce back and forth for the rest of the three minutes.

CM: Started off meh, but greatly improved into a fun well-executed track.

“Cleopatra” – The Lumineers

JW: This is a ‘new’ song. He doesn’t really sound that different from their previous album, and it took me a while to realize that it wasn’t actually a song from that one.

SF: I’ve recently jumped on board the Lumineers train, thanks to Ophelia. This track is definitely very similar to the rest of the tracks on their newest album, and I don’t mean that negatively. Guitar strumming and major piano chords complete relaxing vocals and romantic lyrics. Heart eyes from this girl.

CM: It’s good, but it’s not anything new, like they haven’t matured or switched things up since “Hey Ho.”

“Singing In The Rain” – Simple Plan

JW: What is this song? It just doesn’t make any sense. I remember when Simple Plan was pop-punk and now they are trying some weird Caribbean-ska-pop. Stop: you are all a bunch of mid-thirties white dudes just stick with what you were good at.

SF: This love song is by far the catchiest of the playlist thus far. And how could it not be with whistling in the background? 10/10.

CM: Laid back, chill beach tune. Fun times. I’m a fan.

“Growing Pains” – Birdy

JW: Normally I’m not a huge fan of Birdy, but she’s going into her lower range for this song and holy shit is it AMAZING. If she stayed in the range all the time she would hands down become my fave artist.

SF: Birdy was a staple in my sad lil high schooler heart, and I can’t really honestly say that’s changed much. She puts her vocal range on display, harmonizing with herself in the chorus. While not my favourite song of hers, it’s still worth listening to.

CM: This is melodic, there’s a great musicality in it. Loving it.

“You Turn Me On, I’m A Radio” – Aoife O’Donovan

JW: This was just an average country song. Everything about it cried average. I think there is room to break from average but that means trying to push some boundaries, while still maintaining a sense of who you are as an artist.

SF: It took me ten seconds to think the word no. Notoriously anti-country and fervently anti-slow-country, this track certainly did not change my mind.

CM: Soulful melody and guitar — love it.

“Swim” – Fickle Friends

JW: It’s fun and upbeat. There aren’t that many other things to say about it, but sometimes that’s not a bad thing

SF: While initially very promising, the track eventually just gets boring. There are nervous attempts at bass drops (or something?), but they just don’t pan out.

CM: Kinda funny, kinda poppy, but it’s study music tops.

“Lil’ Love”  – Petite Meller feat. Pnau

JW: This song makes me want to dance with my best friends, even though the lyrics make are more a love song. It gets a little repetitive at the end which kind of wrecks the whole vibe but whatever, it’s still a fun song.

SF:  Kind of reminds me of Alvin and the Chipmunks? It’s upbeat and dance-y, but maybe a bit too much. At least for this early in the day. Sidenote: it’s almost 3 p.m. . .

CM: Musically, I get an Owl City pop-synth feel. It’s only two-thirds through the song that the power in the vocals shines through which is disappointing.

“Kid Who Stays in the Picture” – Hot Hot Heat

JW: I didn’t even know these guys were still a thing. I relegated them to Canadian one hit wonders. After hearing this song I realize that I wasn’t wrong. It’s not a bad song but it’s not going to top the charts by any means.

SF: From Victoria, Hot Hot Heat is a local band to pay attention to. I’m all about this indie rock life. The percussion in the background makes your foot bounce, your head bob. It ends quite abruptly, and it certainly wasn’t perfect, but Hot Hot Heat certainly has the potential.

CM: Groovy and bop-worthy with a good beat. Chill little tune to kick back and feel good.

“Aftergold” – Big Wild feat. Tove Styrke

JW: I really want to like this song but there is something about it that I don’t really like all that much. I think it might be the way the vocalist sounds, but I’m not really sure.

SF: This song is perfect for a sunny day. The lyrics are just as upbeat and happy as the vocals, percussion, and bells in the background. 10/10 would recommend dancing to this in your underwear.

CM: The epitome of background noise. ‘Meh’ all around.

“Headrush” – Aléatoire feat. Claire Ridgely

JW: I’m not 100 percent sold on this song, but it seems like it could be one of those songs that grows on you. But as of right now, I’m not loving it.

SF: Calmer, cooler, and more collected than the previous track, this song is lyrically and vocally sensual. While not very memorable, it wasn’t like I hated the experience either. *pointedly glares at “You Turn Me On, I’m a Radio”*

CM: Easy listening-the kind of track you’d expect your mom to like, but that you can’t help also liking.