Review Roundup: end of TV season

0
653
HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER - "Hi, I'm Philip" - Philip makes a threatening move and ADA Sinclair may have figured out a way to take down Annalise. Meanwhile, Catherine and Caleb are forced to make a life changing decision, on "How to Get Away with Murder," THURSDAY NOVEMBER 12 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. (ABC/Tony Rivetti) CHARLIE WEBER, VIOLA DAVIS, JACK FALAHEE, BILLY BROWN, KARLA SOUZA, AJA NAOMI KING, ALFRED ENOCH

Spoilers below.

How to Get Away with Murder, Season 2

This season felt like an absolute shit-show. I mean, it’s always a gong-show, but this season felt more driven by formula than creativity. Okay, Rebecca’s dead and it’s obviously not someone we’d expect. . . so Asher or Bonnie did it. Bam, it’s Bonnie. Then, surprise, Asher kills someone too, so now they’re all in this together. The only people not in on everything are Eve and Oliver. I plead to whatever TV gods there are, do not touch poor, innocent Oliver.

The copious flashbacks and criss-crossed plotlines were quirky in the first season, and though they still inspire adrenaline rushes with every cliffhanger ending, it’s also getting a little tedious. All that being said, this was another roller-coaster of a season that followed in the first season’s footsteps.

Lucifer, Season 1

Lucifer is flawlessly portrayed by Tom Ellis, taking nothing too seriously. Amenadiel and Lucifer’s sibling rivalry — though sadly not culminating in a devastating heaven versus hell showdown — did result in a brawl before they started working together. This season revealed that Lucifer was mortal, but only around Chloe. Sadly, this was expected. The two didn’t get together, though, which is fantastic.

Many jokes were cracked, a pair of angel wings set ablaze, and an overall great time was had by all. The finale ended on a cliffhanger, with the mother of the angels being set free from hell. No idea who it is, but I for one am burning to find out.

Shadowhunters, Season 1

Thank God the Mortal Instruments series’ screen adaptation found new life in this show by Freeform. Spot-on casting and an overall respect for the books’ plot launch this show into the small group of book-to-screen adaptations that are actually really good.

There’s magic, duels, demons, and even a little bit of gay to round the show out. Magnus and Alec getting together at Alec’s wedding to Lydia Branwell is a highlight. The writers haven’t shied away from the Jace-Clary incest subplot from the books, and Dominic Sherwood skilfully portrays Jace’s inner struggle with his feelings for Clary.

Supergirl, Season 1

Was it cheesy? Extremely. Is it unfortunate that Kara seems to mimic Clark in both secret identity and outfit? Of course. But I’ve got to say, in a TV landscape that’s filled with dark thrillers, crime shows, and series that try to showcase the good side to the bad guys, Supergirl’s cute and slightly over-the-top messaging about hope is a nice contrast.

The season-long battle with Non finally drew to a close after Kara battled her sister Alex, who was under evil Non’s mind control. Also, it was extraordinarily convenient that human Alex could pilot Kara’s Kryptonian space pod, but I forgive them that stroke of fortune — especially because Kara finally got a promotion at CatCo and, most surprisingly of all, Cat finally got her name right. Also, there’s a surprise new pod with something exciting in it, but we didn’t get to find out.

Young & Hungry, Season 3

Another satisfyingly comedic season with a twist of heartbreak. Josh, a dorky but super-rich tech entrepreneur, and his personal chef, Gabi, finally started dating. This happened after Gabi drove off with Jake, Josh’s brother, in their jointly-owned food truck. Alas, the Josh-Gabi couple we’ve seen coming since the pilot (where they slept together) hits a major snag when Josh realizes he’s afraid of commitment.

He goes to therapy to try and get over it, which provides the base of the comedy for the last few episodes. Though the season ended on a sad note, there were more than enough innuendos and one-liners to keep things rolling.